Ventrilo Tech Support

Ventrilo Tech Support (http://forum.ventrilo.com/index.php)
-   Windows Client (http://forum.ventrilo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   So uh... some questions. (http://forum.ventrilo.com/showthread.php?t=4008463)

Omicron 08-23-2017 07:24 PM

So uh... some questions.

I can finally say I stand corrected on development, congratulations on releasing version 4.0.

However, I'm a bit confused here:

1. Where are the "private server" options? Ventsrv? You'd be insane to only offer "outside host" only solutions when we have Teamspeak and Mumble that work perfectly.

2. Where's the classic theme? The Win32 GUI elements like 3.0?

luisgarcia87 08-25-2017 02:16 PM

I am looking for the private server option but couldn't find any, maybe what you're saying it's true, they completely removed the private server option on version 4.0

Omicron 08-25-2017 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luisgarcia87 (Post 4490892)
I am looking for the private server option but couldn't find any, maybe what you're saying it's true, they completely removed the private server option on version 4.0

Maybe they are still working on it, I also cannot find any location that is hosting a 4.0 server, and they still have version 3.0 on their website.

A bit weird that the 3.0 server isn't available either. I can tell you that Vent has lost support in my book if they don't give a private server option like in the past.

To be honest, I still wished they added in a 3.0.X version with Opus and raw PCM/Wave support as additional codec versions.

Osnick 08-26-2017 11:23 AM

The host I have used for a while, Ventrilo3.com has Ventrilo 4.0 servers, they are called Ventrilo Pro servers when you order them. I just upgraded my 3.0 server to a 4.0 server yesterday.

Prog-Rocker 08-26-2017 03:39 PM

Hi All,

just to let you know I will speak with the Devs about the free server availability.

the ver3 look/feel is under themes and named "Classic"

There is also the Raw version of codec that does not compress the signal. Ask your Hosting Co about the option.

We finally got the kitchen sink and now it's time to add the rest of the house. :D

Omicron 08-26-2017 08:08 PM

Both my "default" and "classic" themes look exactly the same - the gray background, and the flat black surrounding the interface window. Classic looks nothing like Version 3 did.

Thumptacks 08-27-2017 01:27 PM

I'll also throw in my confusion/disappointment at being able to host our own servers (especially removing the option for version 3). If anything I was hoping we would be getting ARM binaries for server with this update, Vent is perfect for the Raspberry Pi. But it does also work fine with x86 emulation.

As Omicron pointed out it's a bizarre business move to only offer a paid version when your competition has if for free. Personally, I would be okay with paying a one time fee for a perpetual license but I might be in the minority on that.

I guess we'll see what's decided, that's for checking into it Prog-Rocker.

Omicron 08-27-2017 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thumptacks (Post 4493877)
I'll also throw in my confusion/disappointment at being able to host our own servers (especially removing the option for version 3). If anything I was hoping we would be getting ARM binaries for server with this update, Vent is perfect for the Raspberry Pi. But it does also work fine with x86 emulation.

As Omicron pointed out it's a bizarre business move to only offer a paid version when your competition has if for free. Personally, I would be okay with paying a one time fee for a perpetual license but I might be in the minority on that.

I guess we'll see what's decided, that's for checking into it Prog-Rocker.

I'd be fine with a paid licence option too, Teamspeak does that. Only one problem, they NEVER EVER consider selling their licenses anymore.

With 3.0, you had two options, free 8 slots, or their hosts. You never had the option to get a license yourself.

They just told you "yadda yadad go buy from one of our providers." To be honest, that's what originally made me go with alternatives.

Omicron 09-03-2017 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prog-Rocker (Post 4492602)
Hi All,
just to let you know I will speak with the Devs about the free server availability.

Hear anything else about those private 4.0 servers?

Omicron 09-04-2017 11:42 AM

My god, you got to do something with these spammers.

In this day and age, you should seriously get off of Vbulletin 3 and on to something with better Captcha "catching." There's seriously no reason to hold on to all of the old posts on this website 99% of them are usually irrelevant even for modern tech support.

Why not consider a Vent tech support subreddit?

Spartaownz 09-17-2017 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Omicron (Post 4501948)
Hear anything else about those private 4.0 servers?

bump

Omicron 09-18-2017 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spartaownz (Post 4508510)
bump

Yeah, you'd think we would have gotten some sort of answer by now.

Stevehix 09-21-2017 04:51 PM

So uh some quest

Thats normal for Vista. It gobbles up RAM like its job. Turn down some of the graphical aspects and you should see a drop in RAM usage.

Omicron 09-30-2017 04:13 PM

Alright, look, it's been long enough. A month is enough time to get a simple answer about at least getting a private server option.

Either post in here and tell us something, or I'm using this as direct confirmation of there are being no plans for individual servers anymore.

Fyi, this is one of the only ways to actually support the raw PCM codec - server hosters want nothing to do with this due to the bandwidth.

Jiji_ 11-15-2017 05:43 PM

bump

Omicron 12-04-2017 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jiji_ (Post 4531024)
bump

For those viewing this topic, there's not really much reason to use Ventrilo anymore - I'd recommend Mumble: https://wiki.mumble.info/wiki/Main_Page. Mumble supports better encryption, a much more intuitive UI, much lower voice processing latency, better voice quality, and it's completely free (allowing self servers, or you can still purchase hosting from places like Leetservers like you do for Ventrilo.)