Ventrilo Tech Support

Ventrilo Tech Support (http://forum.ventrilo.com/index.php)
-   Macintosh Client (http://forum.ventrilo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Mac as Server? (http://forum.ventrilo.com/showthread.php?t=18483)

verto 03-11-2007 02:42 PM

Mac as Server?

I've got my WoW guild's vent serv that I'm trying to set up on my mac, and it's not goin too well. I've got it all set up so that the server is running fine and everything, and I've got the ports allowed on my firewall for my mac to have both traffic from the 3875 port. Yet whenever I try and connect from one of my other machines with the client, I get an error, cannot connect to server message. Please help!

wadesworld 03-11-2007 03:44 PM

The port is 3784.

verto 03-12-2007 07:20 AM

ya, thats what I meant to put. I corrected that and it still wont work. It says this at the bottom when it starts, I think this may be the problem: Accepting connections on these interface(s). 1: 0.0.0.0 Accepting UDP Status/Control messages on these interface(s). 1: 0.0.0.0

wadesworld 03-12-2007 03:03 PM

That's not a problem. Unix servers show 0.0.0.0 to indicate it's accepting connections on all interfaces.

To what IP address are you trying to connect.

verto 03-12-2007 05:23 PM

68.54.9.90 There is a password on the channel, it's hXc and it is always running as my mac stays on 24/7

EDIT: And here is a copy of my ini file just in case anyone needs it to help me. There is a remote password, but I removed it for the sake of security.

[Server]

Name=hardcore
Phonetic=hXc. hardcore for life
Port=3784
Auth=0
Duplicates=0
AdminPassword=
Password=hXc
MaxClients=8
SendBuffer=0
RecvBuffer=0
Diag=0
LogonTimeout=5
CloseStd=1
TimeStamp=0
PingRate=10
ExtraBuffer=0
ChanWidth=0
ChanDepth=0
ChanClients=0
DisableQuit=1
VoiceCodec=0
VoiceFormat=1
SilentLobby=0
AutoKick=0

wadesworld 03-12-2007 09:54 PM

You're trying to connect to your outside IP address. Don't do that. From the inside, you need to connect to your internal address, typically something like: 192.168.x.x.

If you want others from the outside to connect, you need to portforward your router and give them the outside address.

Additionally, as configured, this server will not work with Mac clients.

Make the following changes and restart the server:

VoiceCodec =3
VoiceFormat=20

verto 03-12-2007 10:55 PM

Ok, for some reason, I still cant even connect to it in my local network, or outside of it. What's involved in port forwarding? I already enabled that port on the router, and the firewall on the router.I set those things up in the .ini as you directed, and restarted it. But still no connection.
EDIT1:
And yes, my Mac is set up to a static IP at 192.168.0.103
I have tried connecting to that, nothing. Ive tried over my wireless and a LAN line (thats what the mac is on obviously). Once again, neither the outside address nor the network one work. I have also had people outside my network try it out, and nothing.
EDIT2:
After some Google searching I've found I MUST be doing something wrong for it not to connect in the local network. So please help me in the following questions:

1) Can Windows clients connect to the OS X server?
2) Just because it says ready at the bottom, and read the ini contents correctly does that mean it will work?
3) Are there any commands I have to type after the server is started for it to begin the actual service??

verto 03-13-2007 12:39 AM

I've also ran the ventrilo_status program on there to both my network ip and my outside ip. Both show the server information from the mac. I ran the windows version of it on my laptop, and for local I recieved positive results, but for outside address they were negative. This leads me to believe that I did not port forward properly. However, my router has allowed 192.168.0.103 access to inbound and outbound traffic at the 3784 port. Should I switch to allow the outside address access to that port on my firewall?? It's very late now where I am, so I am going to resolve this in the morning. Thank you for your assistance in this matter.

wadesworld 03-13-2007 10:41 AM

Before messing with portforwarding, you need to get it working locally first.

Are the Ventrilo server and client on the same machine perhaps? If so, you should try connecting to "localhost" or 127.0.0.1.

Quote:

1) Can Windows clients connect to the OS X server?
Yes.

Quote:

2) Just because it says ready at the bottom, and read the ini contents correctly does that mean it will work?
It should work internally at that point. Working correctly with external clients depends on having port forwarding configured correctly on your router.

Quote:

3) Are there any commands I have to type after the server is started for it to begin the actual service??
No.

Quote:

What's involved in port forwarding? I already enabled that port on the router, and the firewall on the router.
Simply allowing the port is not the same as forwarding the port to the proper internal address. Look on www.portforward.com and see if you can find instructions for your router. If not, contact the manufacturer.

verto 03-13-2007 11:26 PM

ok, I got it working locally. I followed the directions on portforward, but nothing.

My server is on my mac, but the client is on my laptop and other desktop (windows)

Any info I can post to help out? I only have the onboard firewall for the mac, and that doesnt have settings for this methinks, and the firewall on the router is allowing it from its external address.