Ventrilo Tech Support

Ventrilo Tech Support (http://forum.ventrilo.com/index.php)
-   Macintosh Client (http://forum.ventrilo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Problem with Mac OS Client Voice CODEC (http://forum.ventrilo.com/showthread.php?t=16983)

Zefyrus 12-23-2006 10:56 AM

Problem with Mac OS Client Voice CODEC

When I try to connect to the server I get a message saying that my Mac client is configured for Speex but the server is GMS 6.10. When I change the voice codec to GMS 6.10 it tells me that my client does not support it even though the option appears. Is there a Mac cient that supports GMS 6.10?

wadesworld 12-23-2006 11:05 AM

Not at this time.

Have the server administrator change the server to Speex.

Numna 12-28-2006 06:22 PM

OS X Version

Is there an ETA on when the Mac version will support other codec's? I find most administrators reluctant to change to speex.

wadesworld 12-28-2006 08:11 PM

A date has not been announced and will not be. All we know is that the next major release will resolve the problem. Whether that release will be next month, 6 months or a year, we don't know. We also don't know what form the "fix" will take.

In any case, a release date would do nothing but hurt your cause. If you gave them a date, the server administrator would use that as an excuse to do absolutely nothing on your behalf.

Quote:

I find most administrators reluctant to change to speex.
There's some truth to that, but most administrators react to what they've "heard" with no real facts. Many administrators have found that when they make the change to Speex, their voice quality improves.

In any case, the most productive thing you can do at this point is lobby your administrator to make the change so you can participate now - not sit around waiting on some future compatibility.

theguth 01-06-2007 08:50 AM

I've had the same issue and I've already convinced my administrator to switch codecs. However, he is completely new to running a server and is also lazy beyond belief. These two characteristics mean that I have to explain to him exactly what to do in order to switch codecs. Does anyone know where I could find some information on this type of switch?

wadesworld 01-06-2007 12:53 PM

Assuming he's paying for a hosted server, he'd either use the web-based control panel to make the change, or contact their tech support department.

If it's a personal server that he's running on his PC, he'd set the following parameters in ventrilo_srv.ini and then reboot the server.

VoiceCodec = 3
VoiceFormat = 20

theguth 01-07-2007 05:19 PM

Ok, thanks a lot for the help; I'll try those methods out.

Fender2112 02-23-2007 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wadesworld (Post 65019)
Assuming he's paying for a hosted server, he'd either use the web-based control panel to make the change, or contact their tech support department.

If it's a personal server that he's running on his PC, he'd set the following parameters in ventrilo_srv.ini and then reboot the server.

VoiceCodec = 3
VoiceFormat = 20

Where can I get more details on the parameters for these two items?