Ventrilo Tech Support

Ventrilo Tech Support (http://forum.ventrilo.com/index.php)
-   Macintosh Client (http://forum.ventrilo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Guild tried Speex, now back to GSM (http://forum.ventrilo.com/showthread.php?t=13508)

CTaylor 06-29-2006 12:43 AM

Guild tried Speex, now back to GSM

People seem to be giving advice that speex is fine, but it was awful for our guild for the 3 days we used it. First of all, the sound difference was terrible, I have been using vent for nearly a year and the sound quality when switched to Speex (highest setting available afaik 32khz, 16b, quality10) was terrible. It was equally bad using prototype 14 on my mac and beta3 on my pc. Alot of people sounded almost the same, but about 4-5 (of around 50) people became perma robot. Also, the server became super unreliable, crashing and freezing people's vent randomly. The crashes got so bad on the first night that we had to move to another guilds vent and borrow it for the evening.

I have tried searching the entire forums and all of Flagships posts to see why GSM is not supported on the Mac, or if it is a planned feature, or if removing of GSM from future servers, or something is planned to bring a common setup that is cross-platform compatible in the future.

I am not looking to troll, just trying to realistically evaluate my options as my guild is not willing to use Speex after the trouble they had, and I can't say I really blame them.

Thx for your time,
Cory Taylor

wadesworld 06-29-2006 08:31 AM

Dunno what to tell you. I've used Speex on 3 different servers now, with user counts ranging from 5 to 75.

Without exception, if there are some members who did not upgrade to beta 3 (or had very old sound card drivers), there were some sound issues. Without exception if everyone did upgrade to beta 3, it sounded equal or better to GSM. This was using 16-khz, 16-bit, quality 9.

I have never experienced a Vent crash that I could attribute to Speex vs GSM.

Flagship has not made any statement regarding if and when GSM support will come, and I don't expect that to change.

Since your guild is unwilling to work on the issue, I'd say your option is to use your PC.

mjgraf 07-01-2006 10:22 PM

all windows clients MUST upgrade to the latest beta client as this corrects a speex quality issue. i would really like to know what you hear as a difference between the highest quality GSM and Speex. Our test server has been running Speex for over a year with no issue in sound quality and we stream all kinds of things.

as far as the server stability issue, i call BS. Our stress tests would find any issue, trust me.

Have all windows client update and try again.

Flagship 07-01-2006 11:09 PM

Servers never crash. Period.

The codec has no effect on the servers reliability. This is by design. I don't know why you would say such a thing but it is 100% false.

Calibos 07-15-2006 07:24 AM

My guild was reluctant to change for me because before I came on board with them, they had a bad experience with sound quality using speex and switched back to GSM. Seems most of them had not upgraded to the windows beta, I later found.

"I don't want to fool with a beta version. Why risk even more trouble? I'm sorry, but I tried it and it sucks!" were the answers I got.

The disclaimer on the download page is not very reassuring or informative. You should have it say: 'Use this beta to talk with mac users using the speex codec'. or something. The nebulous "Do NOT use this unless you have a specific reason to" doesn't help the mac vent user's situation at all. It sounds like you're saying "If you don't know exactly what you're doing, stay away from this beta or you're in for trouble."

With what they assumed they 'knew' about Speex being inferior, crappy quality robo-sound, and no mention of speex in the beta disclaimer and only a 'stay away' warning, I had to nag them every day for like a month before they finally did it (just to shut me up).

Anyway, I finally got them to change the codec back to speex and everybody downloaded the windoze beta. Everything works perfectly now. Everybody's happy. But it was a real job getting them to act. Help us mac users out and change the disclaimer on the windows beta dl link so it's less vague and forbidding, ok?

mjgraf 07-15-2006 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calibos
Anyway, I finally got them to change the codec back to speex and everybody downloaded the windoze beta. Everything works perfectly now. Everybody's happy.

qft

Ur-Jack 07-15-2006 09:38 AM

I will admit, it does appear to be conflicting messages between what is written here in the forum and what is written on the downloads page regarding the use of the Windows Beta client. A bit more encouragement for the beta is perhaps needed on the downloads page to reflect that which is written on this board.

As for diminishing quality in Speex Vs. GSM - in my experience I have only found one aspect to be true and that is Speex is more sensitivie to incorrectly set input levels than GSM. Microphpnes can get away with being "too" loud (use your own interpretation here) when using GSM whereas Speex suffers more as distortion tends to screech quite badly. However, once people have been persuaded to turn their input gain down this problem disappears and sound quality is an equal rival to other codecs. It is just less tolerant to poor set-ups than GSM, which is why I suspect many people try Speex and say it is rubbish - it is actually their mocrophpne settings that are rubbish, only in GSM it is more tolerable.

scschwarz 07-15-2006 03:06 PM

Works for Us

We have been using 50 client Ventrilo with a mixed Mac/PC user base for about three months now. We did need to get the hosting company to install Speex, but that only took one email. Works fine for us.

CTaylor 07-20-2006 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flagship
Servers never crash. Period.

The codec has no effect on the servers reliability. This is by design. I don't know why you would say such a thing but it is 100% false.

I can understand that codec doesn't effect server stability, however to say "Servers never crash. Period." goes against what I've experienced. They are incredibly stable imo, but they do sometimes crash or freeze up.

CTaylor 07-22-2006 05:30 PM

Just saw the post from flagship saying this problem goes away in next major release. That's excellent, I can hardly wait. Thx.

(assuming you don't mean dropping mac client :)