Ventrilo Tech Support

Ventrilo Tech Support (http://forum.ventrilo.com/index.php)
-   Macintosh Client (http://forum.ventrilo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Mac 3.0.1 patch? (http://forum.ventrilo.com/showthread.php?t=24776)

Olawles 12-05-2007 10:00 AM

Mac 3.0.1 patch?

When is the Mac OS X 3.0.1 patch coming out? I haven't been able to find any release date or other information about it except that it's almost out...:rolleyes:

Flagship 12-05-2007 03:06 PM

Sorry, I've been a little busy taking care of other problems. Its only about a days worth of work. I'll see if I can it out this weekend.

Olawles 12-05-2007 03:50 PM

that would be amazing, thank you for your time and effort with Ventrilo :D

MyykeOxinue 12-05-2007 09:02 PM

Does it have GSM support in the patch?

mjgraf 12-05-2007 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MyykeOxinue (Post 95549)
Does it have GSM support in the patch?

it will not have GSM support

shazam 12-06-2007 01:33 AM

Server Version error

"Incompatible version, Server is running version 3.0.2" error the last 2 weeks or so. Is this due to the update for mac not being out yet and will be fixed after this weekend?

wadesworld 12-06-2007 01:35 AM

If you're getting that message, you're not running 3.0.

Olawles 12-06-2007 01:34 PM

I got the same error message and I made sure I was running 3.0, hence why I asked about the patch.

Civrock 12-06-2007 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flagship (Post 95501)
Sorry, I've been a little busy taking care of other problems. Its only about a days worth of work. I'll see if I can it out this weekend.

Please. :)

mjgraf 12-06-2007 10:13 PM

you should not be getting that error if you are running version 3.
open ventrilo and if it gives you that error
click About
what version does it say?

Olawles 12-07-2007 09:38 AM

I'm running 3.0.0...my error message only deals with the server using the GSM codec and my Mac not being able to use anything but the Speex codec.I don't know what happens to other people, but when I enter the server I can't speak or hear anybody, and my Push-To-Talk hotkey doesn't activate the mic. Hopefully the patch will be out relatively soon, so it shouldn't be an issue much longer :D

wadesworld 12-07-2007 10:27 AM

Quote:

my error message only deals with the server using the GSM codec and my Mac not being able to use anything but the Speex codec.
There will not be a patch to resolve that issue.

You need to have the server admin reconfigure the server for the Speex codec. That's the only solution.

profjord 12-09-2007 02:36 PM

When I try to connect to the server I get an error reading:

"Failed to get encoder for specific Codec.

This client platform currently supports only the Speex codec. the server and/or channel is configured to use the 'GSM 6.10' codec."

Will the Speex codec be included on the new version of Ventrilo?

I really love your program, keep up the good work!

wadesworld 12-09-2007 03:31 PM

Quote:

Will the Speex codec be included on the new version of Ventrilo?
Speex is included. GSM will not be.

Have your server administrator reconfigure the server for the speex codec.

mjgraf 12-10-2007 10:38 PM

the speex codec is included with the MAC client, GSM is not.

Djinx 12-14-2007 03:18 PM

How does the Administrator configure Speex codec?

The administrator told me he is unable to enable Speex like he could in the previous version. :confused: The server and/or channel is configured to use 'GSM 6.1'codec.

smartalco 12-14-2007 07:53 PM

just wondering here? why is it that it is apparently impossible to port the GSM protocol to OS X?

wadesworld 12-14-2007 08:14 PM

Quote:

why is it that it is apparently impossible to port the GSM protocol to OS X?
Because GSM is a patented protocol. In order to implement it, you have to pay a hefty fee to the patent holder (Phillips). Since it is included on Windows, Flagship gets it for free. Unfortunately, Apple apparently chose not to license it.

Djinx 12-15-2007 04:49 AM

Instruction for administrators on the need and how to configure Speex

I have searched your site for notification and instuctions to assist administrators when configuring Speex for Macintosh users without success.
Would you please kindly link the appropriate page, should I have overlooked it, in order that I may reassure and aid the admininstrator?

This has been very simple with previous versions of Ventrilo and has not presented problems.

Your assistance is much appreciated.

wadesworld 12-15-2007 12:44 PM

It hasn't changed.

If it's a professionally hosted server, they use the hosting company's control panel to change it. If it does not have that option, then they contact the hosting company's support department to change it.

If it's a personal, free server then you edit the ventrilo_srv.ini file, and restart the server. I recommend these parameters:

VoiceCodec = 3
VoiceFormat = 20

Deckard 12-19-2007 07:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wadesworld (Post 96613)
Because GSM is a patented protocol. In order to implement it, you have to pay a hefty fee to the patent holder (Phillips). Since it is included on Windows, Flagship gets it for free. Unfortunately, Apple apparently chose not to license it.

Thanks for that answer, at least now we know who to ask.

I don't think it'll do much good, but I'll write a letter to Apple to ask them about this. After all, they're sitting on billions in cash and the license can't be that expensive. :)

wadesworld 12-19-2007 02:44 PM

Don't write a letter. File an enhancement request as detailed in this thread:

http://www.ventrilo.com/forums/showt...t=13303&page=3

Phish 12-20-2007 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flagship (Post 95501)

please hurry! its been a very long time since you said that and nothing has been updated

thanks for your time!

Civrock 01-05-2008 02:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phish (Post 97328)
please hurry! its been a very long time since you said that and nothing has been updated

thanks for your time!

What he said. :)