Ventrilo Tech Support

Ventrilo Tech Support (http://forum.ventrilo.com/index.php)
-   Windows Client (http://forum.ventrilo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Major Issue: Ventrilo freezes PC (~30seconds at a time, mouse not frozen) (http://forum.ventrilo.com/showthread.php?t=27233)

danny125 07-06-2008 03:54 AM

It seems that if you have a G15 Keyboard, this will inadvertently effect the performance of Ventrilo. If so, head to 'SET UP' > 'GLOBAL' and click the little box under the 'Enable external hardware devices' named 'Logitech Game Panel LCD (G15)'.

Problem fixed. Thanks for the guy who found this out, makes my life much easier : )

jonplumb 07-15-2008 09:42 PM

Same thing for me. I noticed it only freezes the first time you connect or exit. If I've connected to a server, I can freely disconnect from that server and connect to another without any issues so long as I don't exit completely. However trying to go into Setup at any time causes an extended lockup (upwards 30-45 seconds) versus the normal 5-10 seconds when connecting or exiting the program.

This leads me to believe it is having an issue acquiring and releasing the bindings to windows services to perform voice communication. I believe this happens when opening the setup menu because it queries the system for all available bindings so you can change them in the settings, so whatever binding is causing this issue it seems to be more of just being "queried" and not actually bound to that is causing the problem.

I am also on an HP Pavilion dv9730nr laptop. Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T5450 @1.66GHz 1.67GHz, 3.00 GB RAM.

I tried enabling the G15 option, however I am not using a G15 so it did nothing (just though I'd give it a shot anyways). I have also tried with my webcam on/off as well as enabled/disabled. No luck. I think it may have to do with the internal built in mic, but haven't tried disabling it yet.

MadWacker 07-16-2008 05:52 PM

Could this have anything to do with the hp Pavillion dv series having a built in mic?

Personally, I've never deactivated it.

MadWacker 08-06-2008 03:28 PM

Has anyone made any progress regarding this problem?

Prog-Rocker 08-12-2008 11:10 AM

if using vista then try going to c-panel/sounds/recording tab/rt-click on the built-in mic/select disable

jonplumb 08-14-2008 04:09 PM

So I don't think it's Vent. I think it's something Vent is doing, but it's actually a performance issue with HP Pavilian dv9700-ish series laptops.

I had the EXACT same issue when trying to play EverQuest. If I navigate the login/char-select screens with the keyboard it's fine, but if I click on any buttons with the mouse, or when the game first initially starts, the system does the exact same kind of lockup for about 30+ seconds.

So I definitely still think it has to do with acquiring resources on HP Pavilion laptops. Maybe someone with more expertise than me on this matter can investigate possible causes for this lockup.

I have noticed this lockup at the following spots:
-Initial connection with 1st server. After you lockup, you can freely disconnect and connect to other servers with no lockup.
-Initial connection after changing usernames. Again same as above. You can freely change back and forth to previous usernames and connect to servers with no lockups, but when going to a username that hasn't been connected with while Ventrilo has been running will cause a lockup.
-Opening/Closing Setup. This lockup is generally 30+ seconds LONGER than when connecting to servers.
-Closing Ventrilo completely, except when it closes automatically by selecting "Shut Down" from the Windows Vista Start menu.
-Starting EverQuest
-Clicking on any buttons at the login screen of EverQuest. Once you get in-game there is no lockups.

jonplumb 08-14-2008 04:14 PM

Another thing I just noticed. I have my laptop currently plugged in to my TV via HDMI and I'm watching a movie on Windows Media Player on the TV.

I clicked on Setup and the same lockup happened, but the sound of the movie kept going. So maybe it has something to do with the graphics card?????

***NOTE*** I tried disabling the mic as someone above posted. When I connect to a sever there is no lockup, but I do get the following error "VoiceCommMixerStart: Init Failed: Failed to get mixer device caps." and "Unable to activate DirectSound for selected device. DirectSoundCaptureCreate failed, hr = 88780078". I also cannot communicate on vent, even via a headset.

Also, the lockup STILL happens when opening/closing Setup, even with the mic disabled.