Ventrilo Tech Support

Ventrilo Tech Support (http://forum.ventrilo.com/index.php)
-   Server (http://forum.ventrilo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   How I fixed Server 3.0 (http://forum.ventrilo.com/showthread.php?t=25043)

digiphreak 12-13-2007 07:14 PM

How I fixed Server 3.0

Like many others I had difficulty after upgrading to server 3.0

I could connect internally on the LAN IP - but not on the WAN IP. External users were unable to connect to my server from outside my network. They only got the message MSG: Contacting Server.

I'm using a Netgear WGR614 router.

Port forwarding was set up - but apparently the old server used TCP only and version 3.0 uses UDP as well.

Problem - the WGR614 does not allow you to specify the protocol. TCP is apparently assumed with the exception of a few forwarding schemes that are built in.

Solution - Under the advanced menu - go to the WAN setup page. Check on "Default DMZ server" and set it to the LAN IP of your Vent server. This will default all traffic to that IP that isn't specifically forwarded elsewhere (including UDP on port 3784).

This fixed my problem.

If you aren't using a WGR614 but aren't able to specify UDP forwarding - look for a similar setting on your router.

If you can specify UDP - make sure you create 2 rules... 1 for UDP and 1 for TCP. My understanding is that some people have had trouble when setting a single line UDP \ TCP rule.

Hopefully this helps at least one person out there!

Good luck all.

digi

Edit: I should disclose that this does essentially put your server in a DMZ so only do this if you are willing to accept the security risks inherent in doing so.

Edit 2:

In the end I didn't want my server in the DMZ due to the security concerns, so I ended up replacing my router. This one is cheap and works beautifully. http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...82E16833127091

wadesworld 12-13-2007 08:01 PM

Good tip. Routers are often woefully short on the configuration options they should have.

Magnoon 12-17-2007 03:40 AM

Setting DMZ can compromise your systems security.

Make sure you have atleast a firewall running at the server!

JLinehan2004 12-19-2007 11:36 PM

Hey I'm having the same problem w/ connecting to v3.0.1. I get the "Msg: Contacting Server." My Router is a Linksys WRT54G. I am very computer illiterate. I'm guessing that I'm having the same problem as this guy, but I wasn't sure which "Advanced" option he is referring to. I'm really just asking for a possible brief step by step on fixing this problem. I run on Windows if that helps. :(

denelly 12-20-2007 05:42 PM

i have the same one as him. when i do that i put in my computers ip and i get disconnected from the internet

darryle 01-01-2008 07:57 AM

This thread was VERY helpfull, thank you so much, fixed all my connection problems!!

UDP port map was the trick!

90efhatch 01-24-2008 12:34 PM

Very good info thanks.

kilikopele 03-15-2008 05:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by digiphreak (Post 96478)
If you can specify UDP - make sure you create 2 rules... 1 for UDP and 1 for TCP. My understanding is that some people have had trouble when setting a single line UDP \ TCP rule.

Hopefully this helps at least one person out there!

AAARGH! (But in a good way.) So I read this post about 18 times, but apparently I'm an arrogant SOB who said my Linksys router properly handles the TCP/UDP BOTH setting. Gee, that COULDN'T be why I'm not connecting could it?

Now, here I am reading it at 4 in the morning and I decide to make separate rule lines for 3784TCP, 3784UDP, and 6100UDP. CONNECT. READY...

Thanks DigiFreak! You can count me as your one person. :D For others out there who are arrogant SOBs and can't figure out why people can't connect to you, split your TCP and UDP rules into different lines.

wfisher 03-15-2008 04:28 PM

Also Have Netgear Router

I am installing 3.0 server for the first time on my server. I have the same netgear router as the original poster on here.. I have done everything I can think of to get server to work, including

Port forwarding TCP 3784, UDP 3784, UDP 6100
Putting that machine in the DMZ as instructed above...

Still No dice. I have a static external IP through my ISP, so I know its not that problem and I have assigned the server running vent a static IP on my internal network (192.168.x.x).

I get the same"contacting server" message mentioned in the message from the company mentioned here: http://www.ventrilo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23255

I would really like to get this working, if anyone has any ideas, please respond.

Thanks,

Prog-Rocker 03-17-2008 09:55 AM

Local Connection

If you’re connecting the client from a different PC than the server then configure the client to use one of the internal ipaddresses of the server. If you’re running the client on the same PC as the server then use 127.0.0.1 or “localhost” as the servername.

check your portforward setup with this:

http://ventrilo.com/status.php

put in your external ipaddress and 3784

kilikopele 04-05-2008 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wfisher (Post 105774)
Still No dice. I have a static external IP through my ISP, so I know its not that problem and I have assigned the server running vent a static IP on my internal network (192.168.x.x).

It will help if all future posters did the following and posted results as part of the question:

1) Upon installing, open client on SAME machine and try to connect to server using 127.0.0.1 (localhost). If you don't connect, uninstall, reboot, re-install, and make sure all your hardware is in working order.

2) If you DO connect, try client on other machine within your network and connect via a local address. (192.168.x.y)

3) If you're still good, retrieve your IP address from the link on the Ventrilo page and paste it into the Status link on the Ventrilo home page. Can it see you? If not, you've likely got a port or IP address problem. (BTW, make sure you also open port 6100 udp on the router for the server machine.)

Knowing those answers, and anything that happens in those steps will help the community solve your problem.

kinkood 05-18-2008 01:32 AM

Server IP: server.kinkood.com or 68.78.136.53
Quote:

Originally Posted by kilikopele (Post 107171)
It will help if all future posters did the following and posted results as part of the question:

1) Upon installing, open client on SAME machine and try to connect to server using 127.0.0.1 (localhost). If you don't connect, uninstall, reboot, re-install, and make sure all your hardware is in working order.

Can't test this as I'm running the server on Linux.
Quote:

2) If you DO connect, try client on other machine within your network and connect via a local address. (192.168.x.y)

I can connect fine from a Windows computer on the same network but not while attempting to use my external IP.
Quote:

3) If you're still good, retrieve your IP address from the link on the Ventrilo page and paste it into the Status link on the Ventrilo home page. Can it see you? If not, you've likely got a port or IP address problem. (BTW, make sure you also open port 6100 udp on the router for the server machine.)

I can telnet the port and the server will acknowledge the connection and disconnect it due to not logging in, but attempting to connect with a Ventrilo client and it doesn't even act like there's an attempted connection.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ports Forwarded
Ventrilo Server - TCP 3784
Vent Server 2 - UDP 6100
Vent Server 3 - UDP 3784

I placed them in seperate applications (the way my router port forwards is to organize the ports into what application it's being forwarded for, they can have one or more port forward in it) just because I've run out of possible things to test.
Quote:

Knowing those answers, and anything that happens in those steps will help the community solve your problem.

I'm really hoping it's something simple I'm just overlooking, but I'm out of ideas. Thanks in advance.

Flagship 05-18-2008 01:36 AM

If you are on the inside LAN never use your external WAN address. The WAN is for external people only.

kinkood 05-18-2008 01:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flagship (Post 109982)
If you are on the inside LAN never use your external WAN address. The WAN is for external people only.

Doesn't change that nobody can connect using it and the status page says that the server isn't responding. I was attempting to use it to see if I could possibly connect using it and the answer was no.

EDIT: Well nevermind, seems I can connect now after looking up how to fix some random problem (MSG: Synchronizing) and it was suggested to forward port 3866 TCP and UDP. Either that fixed it or it was unrelated as people used to be able to connect yesterday. Oh well.

Maybe the setup instructions for the server setup, under Port Forwarding, it should give information about what ports are required instead of just saying "This is beyond the scope of this documentation". I can understand that it's impossible to tell how to port forward absolutely for every router, but when I was trying to find which ports to forward I couldn't find anything in any obvious places other than 3784.

Toss123 10-22-2008 05:58 PM

Its still not working for me :/

Toss123 10-23-2008 03:40 AM

ok i dont know what happend but i just left my laptop on the whole night and when i woke up i tried to connect to the vent and then it worked. Strange really.

Destroyeer 10-23-2008 07:03 PM

Same problem

First ... Hello everyone I'm new to the forum and therefore I have the same problem can I connect to the internal ip but my friends can not connect to my server ... attempt to open TCP and UDP ports in 3784 but my router allows only with a "TCP or UDP" but not the two with 3784. if someone have any solution for this? my router is a Siemens Gigaset SE 461

Pheonix7102 11-21-2008 09:05 PM

i'm having a problem connecting with my server. up the server yet I can't connect to my own. did i mess up the ini file or what? and why can I never post attachments. I am tryin to put a picture on but it won't let me....

quantum900 07-20-2009 12:51 PM

Having issues with client/server as well

Hi all!

I have a new Fedora 11 set up. I have the software firewall disabled, and SELINUX disabled as well.

I installed the server software and can start the server. Any client I try to connect with (including on the SAME network as the server) it just displays the "MSG: Contacting server".

I can telnet to port 3784 and see on the server console that someone is trying to connect but that their auth times out, but yet is I try to connect with a client, it does nothing. The client displays the server information if I right click in the main window, select View -> Server Browser, but nothing on the server console and no connection made.

Any assistance here would be MUCH appreciated!

Mindscrew 02-03-2010 02:20 AM

First of let me say.. i am not trying to necro this thread. However i find that this might be some good information if anyone is still using the wgr614. Or any router for that matter that wont allow you to specify UDP.

If you feel comfortable enough.... depending on which version of WGR-614 you have, you may have a compatible router to run dd-wrt.

This is a third party firmware that you can flash onto the router that provide much, much, much more configurability then the normal netgear standard firmware image.

although i should warn you before you try and reflash your router,
THERE IS A POSSIBILITY THAT YOU COULD BRICK your router if you dont follow the documentation. There is even bigger chance you can brick it if it is not one of the supported versions! dont say i didnt warn you.

It looks like there is working firmware for wgr614 ver.8 and wgr614LL.

The following website provides a list of models that work with dd-wrt.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/support/router-database

cheers

erjohns 02-23-2010 12:18 AM

external issues only

I can get a positive status test from the vent site but external users still timeout while trying to connect. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong