Ventrilo Tech Support

Ventrilo Tech Support (http://forum.ventrilo.com/index.php)
-   Windows Client (http://forum.ventrilo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Major Issue: Ventrilo freezes PC (~30seconds at a time, mouse not frozen) (http://forum.ventrilo.com/showthread.php?t=27233)

DerangedMoose 03-05-2008 10:45 PM

I have a friend with SP1 installed on his Dell XPS M1710 and he is reporting not having any issues with Ventrilo. It also uses a SigmaTel Audio device and shortly I will be testing my audio drivers to see if they're affecting anything.

We will also be testing 64 bit Vista SP1 to see if the issue is there at all.

Carlvjack 03-05-2008 11:25 PM

For me I get the "freeze" when I open the menu or connect. It lasts for about 30-60 seconds, cannot do anything.

I have a Dell XPS420 with a Creative XFI sound card all the latest drivers, just got the PC about a month ago.

DerangedMoose 03-05-2008 11:51 PM

The latest update is that I tried some older SigmaTel audio drivers that were the same as my what my friend was using with no problem, but they were not compatible with my card as I had suspected. I then updated to the latest drivers from Dell's website 6.10.0.5609. I was originally on 6.10.0.5511.

From what I can tell, there does not appear to be any issues with either the 5511's or 5609's as far as sound is concerned, however, the original problem still persists.

Flagship 03-06-2008 12:07 PM

I think there are two different issues going on in this thread. I'll address the first one for now.

Titanius,

Start the client, but do not connect.
Go to Setup
Uncheck enable outgoing voice comm.
Click OK
Close ventrilo and restart.

Can you now connect without any problems? If so, then you definitely have problems with your sound card input driver. This test will disable your ability to transmit but you should still be able to connect and receive streams.

Titanius 03-06-2008 03:06 PM

Turning off Outgoing Voice Comm does not stop the freezing so I guess it is not my drivers?

DerangedMoose 03-09-2008 07:57 PM

I am not sure how or why, but I managed to resolve my issue. I have a possible reasoning of why, but I cannot yet be sure. I will be doing a little testing on this and I'll get back to you guys when I have figured out exactly what I have done. The only thing that I can confirm at this time is that as of this moment, the lag issue is not currently present on my computer and I did not install any updates that I am aware of.

Strike001 03-10-2008 06:50 PM

I am running Windows XP and I am having the same problem... I could hear everyone, but when i plugged in my microphone jack I clicked setup and it froze. Would not let me do anything else with it. So its not just vista.

DerangedMoose 03-10-2008 10:58 PM

After lots of reboots, freezing, and plugging and unplugging devices, I finally pinpointed the problem. It has something to do with my G15 keyboard or a combination of that and something else. I don't fully understand yet, but it happens regardless of having or not having drivers installed. The fix I found for myself (which I'll be looking into further) involves unplugging my keyboard after the initial boot, then plugging it back in. After that Ventrilo will be fine until the next reboot. It does not appear to be port specific and the only devices plugged into my laptop are my Logitech G15 Gaming Keyboard, G5 laser mouse, and Antec Notebook Cooler.

I'll post back when I've narrowed the problem down further. Hope this helps.

Prog-Rocker 03-11-2008 11:12 AM

i've seen others report that same problem and temp fix with windows XP too.

Titanius 03-11-2008 05:25 PM

I have the problem with my laptop and there is nothing at all plugged in and the only thing I could think of that would count as plugged in would be the webcam and that is disabled.