Ventrilo Tech Support

Ventrilo Tech Support (http://forum.ventrilo.com/index.php)
-   Windows Client (http://forum.ventrilo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Major Issue: Ventrilo freezes PC (~30seconds at a time, mouse not frozen) (http://forum.ventrilo.com/showthread.php?t=27233)

Titanius 03-01-2008 02:45 PM

Major Issue: Ventrilo freezes PC (~30seconds at a time, mouse not frozen)

Hello, I recently purchased a new laptop (Windows Vista) and it hangs be working wonderfully. The only problem I have run into so far is with Ventrilo.

When I open Ventrilo all is well until I either connect, go into settings, or try to exit. Each of the three cause everything on my laptop to stop working (besides the mouse though I can't click) for about twenty to thirty seconds.

If I connect I can here everyone just fine but if I try to goto setup to customize it so I can actually use it it does the lockup again. I tried the hold down Ctrl to disable mixers and it still froze for the 20-30 seconds and then the popup saying mixers are disabled showed.

Edit: It only freezes on close if you close while connected, but still freezes on setup on both connected and not connected.
I have looked around quite a bit and have tried changing sound options, updating drivers, uninstalling codecs that might have interfered but nothing has helped.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Titanius

Titanius 03-02-2008 12:52 PM

I really need to fix this problem, I can't use Ventrilo at the moment and I need to for my clan.

Thanks,
Titanius

mjgraf 03-02-2008 02:35 PM

could you provide more details about the hardware? sound card, etc. laptop make and model.

Titanius 03-02-2008 04:21 PM

Here is a link to the exact laptop : http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1196470439579

Prog-Rocker 03-03-2008 01:31 PM

set the vent icon to 'run as administrator'

check HP's website for audio driver updates

try temp disabling the onboard web cam

in vent setup, set both input/output device to altec lansing and try with 'use direct sound'

Titanius 03-03-2008 03:13 PM

I tried all of that and still no luck. :(

Prog-Rocker 03-03-2008 04:56 PM

have you tried uninstalling, delete the %appdata%\ventrilo folder then re-installing (make a note of your servers ipaddresses/port#s first)

Titanius 03-03-2008 09:46 PM

Tried it, no difference. :( This really sucks.

Prog-Rocker 03-04-2008 02:19 PM

try un-installing the soundcard driver, reboot, re-install the soundcard driver

Titanius 03-04-2008 04:21 PM

Seemed to help because the setup opened right away and it connected with no freeze, but now its back to its old ways and I changed nothing and did not open any other programs. It was working for about 1 minutes and then went back to how it was and the only thing I touched was Ventrilo (didn't change any settings).

Prog-Rocker 03-04-2008 05:41 PM

open taskmanager on the processes tab. clik at the top of the cpu column to sort by usage. start vent and watch to see if there's an app thats using all the cpu.

Titanius 03-04-2008 09:09 PM

svchost.exe is the only thing that jumps up slightly but it doesn't go up much at all.

DerangedMoose 03-04-2008 09:15 PM

I seem to be having a similar issue so maybe my posting here will help solve both of our problems.

Whenever I connect to a server, my entire computer locks up for about 30secs to 1min then connects fine. The same happens when I click just about any button in Ventrilo specifically including the Setup and Test buttons. The computer is a Dell Inspiron 1520 with SigmaTel audio (don't recall which one). The problem started very shortly after I installed SP1 on the system, but I do recall having a similar issue once before which ended with my sound totally cutting out and needing to reinstall. This was due to some corruption with a few dll files that I found when running sfc from command line (sfc was unable to repair them and the Dell tech was pretty much useless).

Currently, my audio works fine for both inbound and outbound. Ventrilo for all intensive purposes works on my computer besides for the previously mentioned lockups. As per suggestions found in the forums as well as in the FAQ, I tried using and not using DirectSound on both inbound and outbound and also tried deleting the ini file to have Ventrilo recreate it. Neither has produced any noticeable results.

Although it is not fully released to the public yet, I am curious if there are any known issues with Ventrilo running on Vista with SP1 installed. I am not sure if the issue I am having is related to SP1 or is completely separate, but it did arrive about the same time.

Titanius 03-04-2008 09:32 PM

Everything you explained is exactly what I have and I AM using Vista SP1 Final release (only companies have it at the moment it will be public soon).

Prog-Rocker 03-05-2008 01:29 PM

something else to try:

in vent setup/binds and speech tabs, set the devices to your soundcard and enable 'use directsound'

does sigmatel have any driver updates?

Titanius 03-05-2008 02:30 PM

Still doesn't fix the problem.

Prog-Rocker 03-05-2008 03:59 PM

how about setting 'process priority=high' in setup/misc ?

i'll see if the Devs have SP1 to try with

Titanius 03-05-2008 08:50 PM

Still no change. :(

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prog-Rocker (Post 105021)
i'll see if the Devs have SP1 to try with

Thanks

Carlvjack 03-05-2008 09:25 PM

I am having the same exact issue and I also have Vista SP1 installed.

Titanius 03-05-2008 09:47 PM

Seems we have isolated the issue to SP1, at least we are pretty sure it is that now.

DerangedMoose 03-05-2008 10:45 PM

I have a friend with SP1 installed on his Dell XPS M1710 and he is reporting not having any issues with Ventrilo. It also uses a SigmaTel Audio device and shortly I will be testing my audio drivers to see if they're affecting anything.

We will also be testing 64 bit Vista SP1 to see if the issue is there at all.

Carlvjack 03-05-2008 11:25 PM

For me I get the "freeze" when I open the menu or connect. It lasts for about 30-60 seconds, cannot do anything.

I have a Dell XPS420 with a Creative XFI sound card all the latest drivers, just got the PC about a month ago.

DerangedMoose 03-05-2008 11:51 PM

The latest update is that I tried some older SigmaTel audio drivers that were the same as my what my friend was using with no problem, but they were not compatible with my card as I had suspected. I then updated to the latest drivers from Dell's website 6.10.0.5609. I was originally on 6.10.0.5511.

From what I can tell, there does not appear to be any issues with either the 5511's or 5609's as far as sound is concerned, however, the original problem still persists.

Flagship 03-06-2008 12:07 PM

I think there are two different issues going on in this thread. I'll address the first one for now.

Titanius,

Start the client, but do not connect.
Go to Setup
Uncheck enable outgoing voice comm.
Click OK
Close ventrilo and restart.

Can you now connect without any problems? If so, then you definitely have problems with your sound card input driver. This test will disable your ability to transmit but you should still be able to connect and receive streams.

Titanius 03-06-2008 03:06 PM

Turning off Outgoing Voice Comm does not stop the freezing so I guess it is not my drivers?

DerangedMoose 03-09-2008 07:57 PM

I am not sure how or why, but I managed to resolve my issue. I have a possible reasoning of why, but I cannot yet be sure. I will be doing a little testing on this and I'll get back to you guys when I have figured out exactly what I have done. The only thing that I can confirm at this time is that as of this moment, the lag issue is not currently present on my computer and I did not install any updates that I am aware of.

Strike001 03-10-2008 06:50 PM

I am running Windows XP and I am having the same problem... I could hear everyone, but when i plugged in my microphone jack I clicked setup and it froze. Would not let me do anything else with it. So its not just vista.

DerangedMoose 03-10-2008 10:58 PM

After lots of reboots, freezing, and plugging and unplugging devices, I finally pinpointed the problem. It has something to do with my G15 keyboard or a combination of that and something else. I don't fully understand yet, but it happens regardless of having or not having drivers installed. The fix I found for myself (which I'll be looking into further) involves unplugging my keyboard after the initial boot, then plugging it back in. After that Ventrilo will be fine until the next reboot. It does not appear to be port specific and the only devices plugged into my laptop are my Logitech G15 Gaming Keyboard, G5 laser mouse, and Antec Notebook Cooler.

I'll post back when I've narrowed the problem down further. Hope this helps.

Prog-Rocker 03-11-2008 11:12 AM

i've seen others report that same problem and temp fix with windows XP too.

Titanius 03-11-2008 05:25 PM

I have the problem with my laptop and there is nothing at all plugged in and the only thing I could think of that would count as plugged in would be the webcam and that is disabled.

Carlvjack 03-11-2008 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DerangedMoose (Post 105452)
After lots of reboots, freezing, and plugging and unplugging devices, I finally pinpointed the problem. It has something to do with my G15 keyboard or a combination of that and something else. I don't fully understand yet, but it happens regardless of having or not having drivers installed. The fix I found for myself (which I'll be looking into further) involves unplugging my keyboard after the initial boot, then plugging it back in. After that Ventrilo will be fine until the next reboot. It does not appear to be port specific and the only devices plugged into my laptop are my Logitech G15 Gaming Keyboard, G5 laser mouse, and Antec Notebook Cooler.

Oh dang I have a G15 also...will give this a try.

Carlvjack 03-11-2008 09:41 PM

Dang that worked Vent doesnt freeze anymore.

Titanius 03-13-2008 05:50 AM

What in a laptop besides the web cam could I disable to see if it would fix this issue?

Vampire 03-21-2008 02:17 AM

I too am experiencing this issue. I have Vista Ultimate SP1 x64 which appears to be causing the problem. For me it seems to be random though, doesnt always lock up. This has only started happening since SP1 was installed. I am using the alpha 64 bit version of ventrilo. Heres my full machine specs, just in case it helps:

ASUS STRIKER EXTREME
E6600
4GB Corsair DOMINATOR PC2-8500C5D
8800 Ultra
Silverstone 850w SLI
Dell 2405FPW
G15
Razor Copperhead
X-Fi Platinum
Vista x64 Ultimate SP1

Fascion 03-29-2008 02:27 PM

I too am experiencing this issue with a similar laptop to the OP.

- HP Pavilion dv9700t Entertainment CTO NB
- Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium (32-bit)
- Intel(R) Core(TM) 2 Duo Processor T9300 (2.50 GHz, 6 MB L2 Cache, 800MHz FSB)
- 3GB DDR2 System Memory (2 Dimm)
- 512MB NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GS!!
- 240GB 7200RPM SATA Dual Hard Drive (120GB x 2)

I first noticed the stutter when trying to rebind keys on my Nostromo N52. The next day I installed both Vent and TS. TS does this stutter when the program is launched and closed. Vent does it when loading the settings and connecting.

I am also running SP1 of Vista, but I believe I noticed the stutters on the Nostromo before SP1 was installed.

m00tt 03-30-2008 05:58 PM

I too, am having a very similar problem with the OP.

My info:

Operating System: Windows XP SP2
CPU: AMD 2.21GHz x86 (32-bit)
RAM: 3GB
Mobo: ASUS A8N32-SLI-Deluxe
Sound: USB Audio Device (Plantronics Headset, Audio card is integrated Realtek)
Currently plugged in items: Logitech G5 mouse, Dell USB keyboard, USB Plantronics headset, DVI-D cable for monitor(no way that could conflict)
Other Info: No antivirus, no firewall, running as administrator, running -m.

I have -m in the target line and run as an administrator. My current problems are:

-Lag/freeze in ventrilo when hitting setup, having the window open, then pressing "OK"
-Lag/freeze on name clone (After hitting OK)
-Lag/freeze on server clone (After hitting OK)
-Lag/freeze on name create (After hitting OK)
-Lag/freeze on server create (After hitting OK)
-Lag/freeze on program open
-Lag/freeze on program close

By lag/freeze, I'm talking about my CPU maxing out 100% until the thread is completed.

redw0lf 04-01-2008 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DerangedMoose (Post 105452)

that was a perfect fix .
Also noticed something, if i uncheck enable outgoing voice comm., vent no longer freezes when connecting to a server for the first time, however still hangs for 15-30seconds when trying to open a menu like setup

Fascion 04-02-2008 04:23 PM

Well, I gave up looking for answers and decided to system restore to factory defaults. I still notice stutters in all the same places; however, they last little more than 5 seconds, compared to the 30-45 second stutters under SP1.

Cidawo 05-15-2008 04:01 PM

I also sufferd from the freezes and i to have a g15. My freezes went away as soon as i check in the box in setup to support g15.

hopes it helps you

yodagnic 05-25-2008 02:38 PM

briliant

having same problem after installing sp1, clicked the support g15 in setup and solved it :) thanks a lot